Monday, June 30, 2014

Nutrition Bite: Diet Soda an Oxymoron


I have had the pleasure of hosting another intern, Stephanie, for the past couple of weeks. I turned over the reins of this week’s nutrition bite for her to take a crack at it and enlighten you all. Without further ado…

Jeopardy question of the day! What’s currently the biggest source of calories for Americans? White bread? Burgers and fries? Nope, it’s soda! If you think that you are doing yourself a favor when you order a diet soda with your super-sized Baconator think again.


Yes, diet soda has the words diet in it, but recent research suggests that drinking diet soda really isn’t any better for you than drinking regular soda. Now you may be thinking, “But there’s no calories, so it’s obviously good for me.” You know what else doesn’t have calories? Sulfuric acid. My guess is that you wouldn’t want to drink that with your 24 cheeseburgers…


Additionally, drinking diet sodas can have some unpleasant side effects such as messing up your metabolism, which can lead to overweight and obesity, Yes, you read that right--drinking diet soda can actually increase your risk of becoming overweight or obese. Research suggests that people who consume diet foods are more likely to overeat because your body is being tricked into thinking it’s eating sugar what it is not, causing you to crave and potentially eat more. Along with obesity, diet soda has many other side effects, one of which is rotting teeth. Diet soda is very acidic, which overtime dissolves the enamel of your teeth and causes tooth decay and discoloration. Adults who drink three or more sodas a day have worse dental health aka greater decay, more missing teeth, and more fillings. Unless you are feeling the Austin Powers look, you may want to reconsider your drink choice.


So next time you go to grab a can of diet soda, thinking it’s okay to drink because it has no calories, think again! I am going to leave you with a riddle. What beverage has no calories and is actually beneficial to your health? Water. You should try it sometime! Until next time!

Keep it Fresh,
Keep it Green

Stephanie & Beth


1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete