Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Nutrition Bite: Navigating Nutrition Mumbo Jumbo

When I am not in a rush at the grocery store, one of my favorite things to do is meander through the aisles to check out what new products are out there and take in all of “healthy” marketing mumbo jumbo, as my mother would call it, they put on the labels. Now, I am going to admit something to you. I love marshmallows. (GASP!) I may or may not keep a bag of them in my cupboard just to have around for a sweet snack. Are they healthy? No, but my motto is everything in moderation. You are probably wondering where I am going with this whole marshmallow thing about right now, so I’ll get to my point.  I like to use marshmallows as one of my favorite examples of this “healthy” marketing mumbo jumbo.



Now, lets suppose you are not an avid reader of my blog and not as well versed in nutrition and you see that these marshmallows are fat-free. Well then if they are fat-free they must be good for me right? I mean fruits and veggies are fat-free too and they are good for me. Nice try, but no. First of all, fat is never involved in the making of marshmallows. That would be like advertising that carrots are vegan and gluten free.  Yes, there is no fat in it, but what about all of the sugar? Does this mean that you should never eat marshmallows? No, personally I find them delicious. My point is to take food marketing with a grain of salt and look at the ingredient label. Don’t use marketing mumbo jumbo to justify your guilty pleasures.

Buzzfeed recently posted this list of 12 healthy claims (read: mumbo jumbo) to ignore at the supermarket. It is good information so here is this week’s nutrition bite…


Until next time!

Keep it Fresh,
Keep it Green,


Beth

1 comment:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete